Biotropica Australia is part of the Queensland Department of Main Roads (QDMR)/ Rainforest CRC Strategic Alliance, working to advance the Restoration Design and Management for the proposed Kuranda Range Road Upgrade.
Biotropica Australia’s specific tasks have involved:
- A review of the current rehabilitation strategy
- A review of existing rock gabion structures and field experiments to evaluate these techniques
- Reviewing of surface, canopy and riparian vegetation connectivity around existing bridge structures
- Development of a propagation materials procurement strategy
- Producing a Preliminary Restoration Design for the proposed Kuranda Range Road Upgrade. This has been a twelve month project with the Preliminary Restoration Design now under review
- Some of the field and nursery experimental components are still underway, including the Green Terramesh Trial along the Kennedy Highway, near Kuranda.
Biotropica Australia’s research efforts will provide much required information for clients wishing to carry out wide-scale rehabilitation after major road building activities.